This ordinance would place the question of extending the 1% temporary sales tax on the October 4, 2022, regular municipal election ballot. The current 1% temporary sales tax expires on September 30, 2023. If approved, the temporary 1% tax would be extended for five years, until September 30, 2028.
If extended, the temporary tax is estimated to generate a total of $60.2 million in sales tax revenue. The Assembly has designated funds to the following projects areas:
- Deferred maintenance of CBJ and JSD facilities
- Replacement public safety equipment for JPD and CCFR
- Redevelopment of Gastineau Avenue, Telephone Hill, and North SOB Parking Garage
- Affordable housing initiatives, including further development of Pederson Hill
- Harbor expansion and maintenance
- Childcare support
- Lemon Creek multi-modal path
- Relocation of City Museum
- Contribution to the Restricted Budget Reserve
- Information technology upgrades
This topic was reviewed by the Assembly Finance Committee at its meeting on March 12, and by the Committee of the Whole at its meetings on May 2 and June 27. The Committee of the Whole recommended the ordinance be brought to the full Assembly for consideration.