Item Coversheet

ASSEMBLY AGENDA/MANAGER'S REPORT
THE CITY AND BOROUGH OF JUNEAU, ALASKA

Ordinance 2021-37 An Ordinance Authorizing Property Taxes to be Paid in Two Installments for 2021.

MANAGER'S REPORT:

Property taxes are currently required to be paid in full by September 30, 2021. A number of property owners are still recovering from the impacts of COVID-19 and could benefit from being able to pay their 2021 property taxes in two installments. Additionally, the Board of Equalization has a significant number of commercial property appeals that may not be resolved before September 30, and those taxpayers could benefit from being able to pay their 2021 taxes in two installments. This ordinance would authorize 80% of the property taxes and special assessments to be paid on September 30, 2021, and the remaining 20% would be due on December 31, 2021. Taxpayers that have automatic mortgage payments or prearranged ACH direct debit can still pay the full tax amount on September 30, 2021.

 

The Assembly Finance Committee reviewed this ordinance at its August 18 meeting. 

RECOMMENDATION:

The City Manager recommends the Assembly adopt this ordinance.

ATTACHMENTS:
DescriptionUpload DateType
Ord 2021-378/13/2021Ordinance